With winter now in the rearview mirror, everyone is looking forward to spring and better weather. But even though the May flowers can thank those April showers for their bloom, the rainy season can also bring about the danger of floods.
Spring and summer storms can be severe, unexpected and have the potential to cause flooding – the most common natural disaster in the United States. Preparing for potential flooding can save you a lot of time, damage to your property, and money in repairs. Here are some steps you can take to be better equipped to handle flooding caused by storms.
- Know the type of risk potential in your area. This includes the proximity of big water sources such as rivers or lakes that can overflow.
- Inspect the foundation of your home to assess any potential cracks or areas that could be vulnerable and allow water to seep through.
- Plan out and practice evacuations for you and your family, if needed. This will save time in the event of a quickly amassing flood.
- Have supplies ready in case you must evacuate quickly, or if other services and stores are not accessible. These can include phone chargers, batteries, flashlights, water, food and supplies for you and your pets.
- Have a flood insurance policy on your home. These can take a few weeks to take effect, so plan ahead before any threat of bad weather that may lead to a flood.
- Keep any important documents or valuable items secured on higher levels of your home or in waterproof containers.
These are just a few tips to begin preparing your home in case a flood occurs. For more tips on preparing for such an event, visit our website or call us at 815-288-7841.
Ace Hardware & Outdoor Center
900 N Galena Ave
Dixon, IL 61021