Have you noticed your clothes are taking a bit longer to dry these days? Maybe things just don’t sound as smooth after the dryer has been on for a little while? It may be time to clean the dryer vent.
Not only does a clogged vent slow up your drying time and efficiency, but it’s a potential fire hazard as well. Fortunately, cleaning out the vent is quick and simple to perform. Here are a few tips on how to effectively and safely clean your dryer vent.
- Unplug the dryer. Never work on any major electric appliance while there is still power running to it. The majority of dryers are just plugged into the wall socket, so simply removing the plug will cut its power.
- Locate the vent hose and detach it. To do this, pull the dryer out away from the wall, just as far as the hose will allow. Unscrew the clamps that keep the hose attached.
- Vacuum the hose. Once you have the hose detached, use your shop vac or small attachment on your vacuum cleaner to thoroughly vacuum the hose. Make sure you get all the lint and other debris suctioned out. If you need to scrape any thick buildup out of the hose, be careful not to puncture it, as this will cause a leak.
- Reinstall the hose and suction the exterior vent. Simply reattach the hose the same way you took it off, and gently move the dryer back into place. Then go outside and remove the lint buildup from the exterior dryer vent if you can reach it. Suction it out with the vacuum if possible, otherwise scrape it out manually.
- Run the dryer. Once the exterior vent is clean, run the empty dryer on the air-dry setting for about 10-20 minutes. This should help blow any small remaining particles out of the vent. Doublecheck the exterior vent to make sure you feel the air flow.
That’s all there is to it! It’s important to clean your dryer vent at least once a year, but more often is fine too. With these simple steps you can maintain your dryer’s efficiency, lower your energy costs, and prevent dangerous dryer fires.
For more tips on maintaining your dryer or other major appliances, visit our website or call us at 815-288-7841.
Ace Hardware & Outdoor Center
900 N Galena Ave
Dixon, IL 61021