Digital Access

Digital Access
Access saukvalley.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from SaukValley.com, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Premium

Bureau County COVID-19 survivor: 'It just knocked me out'

David Lind and his wife, Candy, of Walnut. David, a Bureau Valley High School math teacher, recently recovered from COVID-19, which health officials think he contracted from his son, who had spent some time in Europe.
David Lind and his wife, Candy, of Walnut. David, a Bureau Valley High School math teacher, recently recovered from COVID-19, which health officials think he contracted from his son, who had spent some time in Europe.

WALNUT — The first Bureau County resident to test positive for COVID-19 made a full recovery and is sharing his experience with others in the hope they heed the precautions meant to prevent its spread.

It is believed that David Lind, 47, of Walnut, a Bureau Valley High School math teacher, contracted the virus from his son, who returned home from a college music trip in Europe on March 14.

Lind already was fighting a respiratory illness at the time, and his immune system was weakened. He was feeling so under the weather, in fact, that he decided to take 2 days off from school, March 12 and 13, a Thursday and Friday, to give himself 4 days to try to recover.

When his son returned home, the family was asked to quarantine for 2 weeks as a precaution since he had been in Europe.

On March 17, after Lind had been in contact with his son for 2 days, he became extremely fatigued, was dizzy, he had a headache and a cough that felt like a "monster or demon" inside his lungs. He couldn’t sleep on his side because it felt like his lungs were being squeezed, he said

The next day, he slept 20 hours. The day after that, he had a temperature of 100.8, called a doctor and was advised to go to KSB Hospital in Dixon for a COVID-19 test, which was administered at its testing drive-thru.

The family was told again to quarantine themselves for 14 days, which, luckily, they already were doing.

“It just knocked me out. I was out for the count for probably the better part of 7 or 8 days,” Lind said.

It wasn't until March 25 – his youngest son’s birthday – that he woke up feeling more like his normal self.

“It was a great blessing to be able to sit as a family and laugh and enjoy each other,” Lind’s wife, Candy, said in a recent Facebook video.

It wasn't until 2 days after that that he got the news that he indeed tested positive for coronavirus.

“It was an 8-day waiting period between when I had the test to when I got the call,” he said. “It was nice to know what had been wrong with me.”

He has been steadily recovering, and although he still has a slight lingering cough, it's a “massive improvement,” Lind said.

He and Candy are grateful for the outpouring of support they've received.

“We’ve been so blessed,” she said. “Living in a small town is such a joy. We have so many friends, so many family members, so many neighbors who have volunteered to run and get groceries for us or deliver food.”

She may joke about her husband's bout with the virus, but she is well aware of the seriousness of the situation.

“People are really sick. People are dying. I’m just encouraging people to stay home, to follow the guidelines put out in front of us, take this seriously and do your part to bring us back to a world where we can see each other again and be together and laugh and hug,” she said on the video.

Although health officials suspect Lind's microbes traveled to Walnut from Europe, it’s not possible to know for sure, she said

“It could have been a gas pump, a door knob or anywhere. We’re such a mobile society that who knows where the virus came from, but we did take the precautions we were told to take, and we have hopefully moved past it.”

Even though he was in quarantined for the required 14 days since being tested, Lind is choosing to remain at home, and he is encouraging others to do the same.

“Let’s just do what we’re supposed to do to let this thing just die off, and hopefully we can all get back to normal some day within the next few months.”

Loading more