Digital Access

Digital Access
Access saukvalley.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from SaukValley.com, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

GOP lawmakers having town hall on state tax proposal

McCombie, Anderson and Chesney will address state tax proposal

MORRISON – Three Republican state legislators will host a town hall in Morrison on the graduated income tax structure proposed by Gov. J.B. Pritzker.

State Reps. Tony McCombie, R-Savanna, and Andrew Chesney, R-Freeport; and State. Sen. Neil Anderson, R-Andalusia, will lead the meeting Saturday morning at Morrison Institute of Technology.

McCombie and Anderson have regular Coffee & Conversation events, which have a similar loose format.

“I really enjoy the open conversations at town hall events. This is an opportunity for constituents to hear a truly unique and in-depth financial update, ask questions of us, and to learn from each other,” McCombie said in a news release.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s plan to change the state’s flat income tax to a graduated system is at the top of the his agenda and is the hottest issue in Springfield. The lawmakers said they wanted to give residents a chance to get more involved in the issue.

“I encourage all constituents to join us for this town hall to not only share their opinions and concerns about the topic, but also to learn about the possible effects a graduated income tax would have on our state,” Anderson said.

The Senate on Wednesday approved a rate structure that brings the ceiling to 7.99% for residents who make $1 million or more. That is higher than the top rate of 7.95% that was included in Pritzker’s plan.

The Senate’s version also applies the top rate to married couples filing jointly with a combined income of $1 million. In an attempt to compensate for the “marriage penalty”, the top rate would kick in for single filers with an income of more than $750,000.

The graduated tax proposal must pass the House by a three-fifths supermajority before a referendum could be put on the November 2020 ballot.

The graduated tax plan is projected to generate $3.4 billion more annually for a state that is expected to have a $3.2 billion budget deficit by 2020. Pritzker claims that the new revenue would come from the most affluent 3% of the tax base, while the remaining 97% would see their state income taxes decrease or stay the same.

Chesney, however, calls the graduated tax “Illinois’ latest tax-and-spend proposal”.

“Illinoisans are overtaxed and underserved by their state government. The supermajority is busily selling the notion of a graduated income tax benefitting the middle class, but residents need to learn more about this proposal.”

Town hall

The town hall on the state's graduated income tax proposal will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Morrison Institute of Technology, 701 Portland Ave. Light refreshments will be served. The doors will open at 9 a.m.; there is no need to RSVP.

Call state Rep. Tony McCombie’s Savanna office at 815-632-7384, state Rep Andrew Chesney’s Freeport office at 815-232-0774, or state Sen. Neil Anderson’s Moline office at 309-736-7084 for more information.

Loading more