No cause yet of fire that destroyed house
ROCK FALLS — No cause has been determined for a fire that destroyed an Avenue D home Thursday night.
An investigation is ongoing.
Because of the significant damage to the home at 215 Avenue D, Rock Falls Fire Chief J.W. Larson said, the state fire marshal has been unable to determine where the fire started.
Larson confirmed that nobody was home and there were no injuries. One man lived in the home, and he is now staying with family, Larson said.
A dog believed to be in the home has not been found, Larson added.
Accounts from residents in the neighborhood said flames shot high into the sky when the roof of the home collapsed. Smoldering smoke near the foundation was all that was left once firefighters from a handful of departments brought the flames under control.
Firefighters from a handful of departments were called for assistance, including Sterling, Dixon and Dixon Rural.
To Larson’s knowledge, the fire victim has not reached out to Red Cross. A spokesperson from Red Cross did not respond to inquiries Friday, so it is not known whether an account or donation center has been set up for the victim.