PHOTO: Brussels sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green pepper and onion make for a pretty pan.
BARBECUE CHICKEN QUINOA BOWL
Makes: About 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
5 large chicken breasts
2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
1 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
About 25 baby tomatoes, halved
Seasons: Cajun seasoning (with salt), pepper, garlic powder and chili powder
1. Fire up your grill and set the heat to low to medium-low. Clean off the grates and then, I like to rub some olive oil on the grates so the chicken is less prone to stick to them. (Note: My grill runs pretty hot. I usually try to get the grill to the point where it’s sitting around 375 to 400 degrees.)
2. Season your chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.
3. While you wait for grill to heat up, start preparing – chopping and quartering – your vegetables to be sauteed in a pan on the stove. Pour some extra virgin olive oil in the pan and set it to medium-low heat.
4. Place your chopped green pepper and onion in the pan. While they’re sauteing, go outside, place your chicken on the grill, then head back inside. You’ll let it cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on one side before flipping.
5. While inside, put water and quinoa in a pot on the stove and set the burner to high. Once it reaches a boil, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Add your Brussels sprouts to the pan with green peppers and onion. After a couple of minutes, add the cherry tomatoes.
7. Head back outside to check on your chicken and flip them.
8. Once the quinoa has simmered for 15 minutes, take it off the burner, fluff, cover again and leave for 5 minutes. After, check on the sauteing vegetables. Turn heat up or down, if needed. Use a fork to test the tenderness of the Brussels sprouts.
9. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees, you can take it off the grill. Let sit on the plate for a few minutes before cutting.
10. Mix the cooked quinoa with the vegetables. Carve your chicken breasts and place them on top of the quinoa and vegetables.
11. Top with cheese and barbecue sauce. You could also drizzle some ranch dressing on top or add some fresh green onions. Whatever else you choose to include, I hope you enjoy!