Over 150 years of serving the Sauk Valley area
The history of Sauk Valley Newspapers dates back to 1851, when the first newspaper in the Shaw Newspaper company was formed. The Dixon Evening Telegraph was established that year, when the city of Dixon was just a small community. B.F. Shaw took over the ownership of the newspaper shortly after its inception. B.F. Shaw ran the newspaper along with his son, Eustace. Eustace died at an early age, leaving his wife, Mabel, and their three young sons. Mabel, along with her father-in-law, B.F., ran the newspaper company for a number of years. Upon B.F.'s death, Mabel took over ownership of the company. It was under her leadership that the company grew and expanded. During her time as president of the company, numerous other newspapers and radio stations were purchased, along with Dixon Publishing Co. and Nachusa House Hotel. Mabel's three sons, George, Ben and Robert, also ran the company with her guidance.
The company is now under the management of fifth and sixth generation descendants of B.F. Shaw. More than 30 different publications throughout Illinois and Iowa are part of Shaw Newspapers.
Shaw Newspapers bought the Daily Gazette in Sterling in 1995. With the Telegraph and Daily Gazette under the same ownership, Sauk Valley Newspapers was formed to be the umbrella company for those two award-winning daily newspapers. In 2000, the former Wolohan Lumber Co. building on East Lincolnway in Sterling was purchased and converted into a new printing and distribution center for Sauk Valley Newspapers. The Telegraph building in Dixon remains open and staffed to serve the needs of Dixon-area readers and advertisers.
Today, more than 125 people are employed at the Sauk Valley Newspapers plant. Those dedicated employees work to produce two separate daily newspapers, a regional Saturday newspaper, and hundreds of other niche and specialty publications throughout the year.
The Telegraph, 1851
Daily Gazette, 1854
The Telegraph, Mon-Fri, 8,969
Daily Gazette, Mon-Fri, 12,430
SV Weekend, Sat, 20,420
The Review, Tue, 18,785
Sauk Valley Newspapers strives to provide indispensable information and advertising services to our communities.
Sauk Valley Newspapers produces two award-winning daily newspapers, along with a combined regional Saturday edition. The newspapers are well respected in the communities and are relied on to keep the Sauk Valley area informed, enlightened and entertained.
Sauk Valley Newspapers has received numerous editorial and photography awards from The Illinois Press Association, The Inland Press Association and the Associated Press. The advertising department has had the distinction of being named the top mid-sized newspaper in the state based on Advertising Design and Quality for eight of the past 10 years.
The Sauk Valley area is in northwestern Illinois, 100 miles west of Chicago on Interstate 88. The three major communities of Dixon, Sterling and Rock Falls on the scenic Rock River are in the center of the marketplace. The two larger metro markets of Rockford and The Quad Cites are less than 60 miles way.
The area is primarily an agricultural and manufacturing region with a growing tourism base. The close proximity to Rockford, Quad Cites and Chicago makes the Sauk Valley area a desirable market for commerce, retail trade, tourism and housing.
Things to do:
The Sauk Valley area offers recreational activities along the scenic Rock River, is home to the Ronald Reagan boyhood home, and offers more camping sites per capita than any other county in the state. The area is fast growing as a destination retreat for the busy Chicago market.
148,600 in Lee, Whiteside and Ogle Counties
Median home price:
Sauk Valley Newspapers
3200 E. Lincolnway
Sterling, IL 61081
(815) 625-3600 or (815) 284-2222
113 S. Peoria Ave.
Dixon, IL 61021
Advertising Fax: (815) 626-5365
Editorial Fax: (815) 625-9390
Web site: www.saukvalley.com
Telegraph General Manager