Trick or treat yourself to some Halloween fun in the Sauk Valley ...
Halloween party in Nelson
NELSON – Halloween Fun Fair, 5-7 p.m. at 207 Pope St.; 50-cent games, prizes, food, bounce house, hay rack rides, face painting, and more. Bar available. Fundraiser for the village park. More info: Parties on Pope on Facebook or 815-734-4927.
Timber Lake Terror
MOUNT CARROLL – Timber Lake Terror: The Haunted Experience, 6:30-10 p.m., Timber Lake Playhouse, 8215 Black Oak Road; fun house, haunted house, escape room; $8 at timberlakeplayhouse.org, $10 at the door; 815-244-2035.
MOUNT CARROLL – Mount Carroll Pumpkin Fest, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. downtown; farmer’s market, bubble show, pumpkin bowling, Touch-a-Truck, fire department water fights, costume parade for kids and pets, pumpkin and gourd decorating, races, 5K walk-run at Market and Carroll streets; mtcarrollil.org.
At Abiding Word Church
STERLING – Fall fun at Abiding Word Church, 806 E. Lynn Blvd.; 5-8 p.m., chili mac and cheese cook-off, live music, hay rack rides, bonfire, S’mores, hot cocoa, kids games, outdoor movie, short message; dress accordingly; 815-626-1827.
Crafts at New Life Lutheran
STERLING – New Life Lutheran’s annual fall craft fair, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 702 W. Lynn Blvd; 50+ vendors, concessions and more; 815-499-6552, Facebook.
Parade and costume contest
MORRISON – Halloween parade and costume contest, 1:30 p.m. at Community State Bank, 220 E. Main St.; line up at 12:30 p.m., treat bags for the first 100 kids, costume-judging at 1:15, parade at 1:30 p.m, prizes awarded at 2 p.m.; in case of bad weather, event moves to Morrison Junior High School, 300 Academic Drive; 815-772-4011.
Halloween in Dixon
• Dixon Noon Lions annual Halloween parade, Haymarket Square, 317 W. Third St.; 9:30 a.m. assembly, 9:50 judging, parade at 10; costume prizes, treat bags. In case of bad weather, find prizes and treats at the Post House Ballroom, 100 W. Second St.; 815-284-8845
• Monster pancake breakfast; 8-9:30 a.m. at Lee County Council on Aging; eat with costumed characters, $4.50 for adults, $2.50 for 11 and younger, $1 off for those in costume; 815-288-9236.
• The Scarecrow Festival, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. along the riverfront and downtown; craft and food vendors, pie-eating contest, petting zoo, train rides, line dancing, pumpkin painting, face painters, live music, pumpkin races and more. Treat Street, 10-11:30 a.m. at Town Square Centre Circle Drive, 102 S. Hennepin Ave.; Discover Dixon on Facebook.
Halloween costume contest
ROCK FALLS – Coloma Township Park District, Rock Falls Youth Council and Rock Falls American Legion and Auxiliary Halloween costume contest, 4 p.m. at the Municipal Center, 1007 Seventh Ave.; doors open to contestants of all ages at 3:30 p.m.; cash prizes, candy for all participants; 815-625-0272.
Halloween on the Prairie
BYRON – Halloween on the Prairie, noon-4 p.m. at Jarrett Prairie Center, 7993 N. River Road; hayrides, face-painting, crafts, live owl and hawk shows, spooky games, Native American life skills demonstrations, bounce house, free hot dogs, apple snapping, Weiskopf Observatory programs; byronforestpreserve.com or 815-234-8535.
COMPTON – Halloween costume contest at the fire station, 339 W. Cherry St.; 2:30 p.m. registration; 3 p.m. judging, followed by parade to Compton Park for hot dogs and hot chocolate, pumpkin-decorating contest; nonperishable food items and money accepted for NICE food pantry; all activities at fire department in case of bad weather. More info: Hazel Sims, 815-497-2045; Christina Barnickel, 815-497-3862.
• Noon-1:30 p.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 421 S. Peoria Ave., Dixon; corn dogs served; 815-440-6290.
• Sublette trunk-or-treat; 3-5 p.m. at Grace Fellowship Church, 500 W. Main St.; 815-901-2767.
• St. Anne Family Mass and trunk-or-treating, 1104 N. Brinton Ave.; 10:30 a.m. Mass, 11:30 a.m.-noon food, trunk set-up, fellowship; noon-1 p.m, trunk-or-treating, kids activities; trick-or-treat from car to car or decorate the trunk of your car and hand out candy; 815-440-6434.
STERLING – Costume contest for ages 9 and younger, 6 p.m. at Northland Mall, 2900 E. Lincolnway; registration at 4:45 p.m.; trick-or-treating, goodie bags and Culver’s ice cream to the first 150 participants, costume prizes, family crafts; 815-626-5390.
At Mount Morris Library
MOUNT MORRIS – Haunted Library, 6-9 p.m. at Mount Morris Public Library, 105 S. McKendrie Ave.; treat bags, carnival and guessing games, bingo, costume contests for kids and adults and groups, pumpkin-carving contest or bring already-carved pumpkins; 815-734-4927.
OREGON – Oregon Park District’s Halloween Carnival, Nash Recreation Center, 305 S. Fifth St.; 10-11 a.m. for pre-K, 3:30-5 p.m. for K-5; games, prizes, raffle baskets, fun costumes, face-painting; 12 free game tickets to each participant;, additional game tickets and raffle tickets available for purchase; oregonpark.org or 815-732-3101.
ROCK FALLS – Sauk Valley Senior Living & Rehab, 6-7:30 p.m., 1000 Dixon Ave.; trick-or treating, refreshments, costume contest for newborn to age 12; 815-625-8510.
At Heritage Woods
STERLING – Trick or treating; 4-6 p.m. at Heritage Woods, 2205 Oak Grove Ave.; 815-625-7045.
Fun and fellowship
Hope Bible Fellowship, 732 Brinton Ave., Dixon, 5-7:30 p.m.; trick-or-treat in costume, beverages and donuts inside; 815-677-9185.
The allure of Halloween
MOUNT CARROLL – Allure of Mount Carroll, 1006 N. Lowden Road; 6 to 7:30 p.m.; trick-or-treat for children up to sixth grade; 815-244-7715.
At the Legion
CHADWICK – Chadwick Special Events Halloween party, 6-8:30 p.m. at the Legion Hall, 221 Calvert Ave; hot dogs and chili; take-home treat bags; Halloween cookie decorating for kids, tin can bowling, costume contests; 815-478-5120.