More than a dozen solar farm projects in the area were picked during the first round of a state lottery for renewable energy credits, with the majority located in Whiteside County.
The state's Future Energy Jobs Act, which was created in late 2016 and requires utility companies to get 25 percent of their energy from renewable sources by 2025, led to a boom of solar energy companies lining up projects to submit to the Illinois Power Agency in hopes of garnering competitive solar renewable energy credits.
The agency was so inundated with project requests, especially in the community solar category where electricity would be sold to subscribers, that it triggered a lottery process.
The Sauk Valley has seen dozens of requests for special use permits to develop solar farms, but most of the projects are contingent on getting the credits. More than 40 of the proposed area projects were placed on a waitlist.
Most community solar developments are 2 megwatt projects, which typically cover about a dozen acres and generate enough energy to power around 350 homes.
The following is a list of projects picked during the lottery earlier this month, and all are for 2 megawatt developments unless noted otherwise:
• Borrego Solar Systems Inc. at 12876 Blue Goose Road in Morrison
• SoCore Energy LLC for two 2-megawatt projects at 12107 Yorktown Road in Lyndon
• SoCore Energy LLC at 19848 Bunker Hill Road in Lyndon
• SoCore Energy LLC at 14378 Hillside Road in Morrison
• TCA Microgrid Energy Management LLC at 900 22nd Ave. in Fulton
• Nexamp Solar LLC at Fargo Road in Prophetstown
• Cypress Creek Renewables LLC at 22198 Prophetstown Road in Rock Falls
• Cypress Creek Renewables LLC at 16493 Sand Road in Fulton
• Forefront Power LLC at Paw Paw Road in Paw Paw
• OneEnergy Development LLC at 1226 West Oregon Trail Road in Oregon
• DG Illinois Solar LLC in Polo
• Sunvest New Energy LLC at south of 3788 N. Mt. Morris Road in Mount Morris
• IL-Solar Inc. for a 25-kilowatt project at 109 W. Maple Ave. in Manlius
• Carbon Solutions Group SREC LLC for a 20-kilowatt project at 13907 Fritz Road in Mount Carroll
Go to illinoisabp.com for more information on the state solar lottery.