Standing water from Wednesday’s rain has closed several roads and at certain spots.
Morning rainfall totaled almost 1 inch, according to the National Weather Service, and has caused standing water from fields to run off onto roads. Another half inch was expected before the day was over.
Closed areas are monitored by law enforcement and road commissioners. The Whiteside and Carroll County Sheriff’s office Facebook pages are updating posts with closure updates.
Flood warnings remain in effect along the Mississippi River south of Savanna and along the Rock River throughout Illinois.
The Mississippi River at Lock and Dam No. 13, north of Fulton, rose 1.5 feet to 8.49 feet at 2 p.m. Wednesday, and is predicted to crest at 16.9 feet Sunday morning before falling about 1 foot by Wednesday. The crest increased 3 feet from a forecast determined Monday. Forecasts of the river reaching the record of 24.75 feet, set in 1965, remain in place for April 15-29.
At Dixon, the Rock River rose 2 feet from 2 p.m. Tuesday to 2 p.m. Wednesday, now at 15.42 feet with a predicted crest of 17.4 feet expected Friday night. The Rock rose 3 feet at Byron and Como during the same time. The reading at Byron was 13.77 feet; a crest at 15.9 feet is forecasted also for Friday night. Como was at 13.28 feet, with Friday’s crest estimated at 15.2 feet.
At Joslin, the Rock was at 14.89 feet, but is expected to crest Sunday 2 inches shy of the record of 19.24 feet set in 2002. Road closures along Moline Road near Erie and several roads in that vicinity are expected with the rising water.
More rain is in the forecast through Friday, with a high temperature of 60 for Thursday.
Closed roads as of about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday:
• Science Ridge Road from state Route 40 to Hillcrest Lane near Hickory Hills Subdivision, which includes the bridge over Elkhorn Creek.
• County Line Road from Penrose to Pilgrim roads.
• Polo Road between Quinn and Fulfs roads.
• Capp and Fulfs roads between state Route 40 and Hoover Road, which includes bridges over Elkhorn Creek.
• Damen Road from state Route 78 to Crosby Road south of Morrison-Rockwood State Park.
• Norrish Road at Crosby Road near the covered bridge over Rock Creek to the beginning of Holly Road, west of Bishop Road.
• The intersection of Lister and Prairie Center roads in Union Grove Township.
• Capp and Spring Valley roads between Lyndon and Lake roads.
High water also has been reported at the intersection of U.S. Route 30 and Acker Road, just west of the BNSF underpass at the edge of the bluff between Fulton and Morrison.
• Lyndon, Anderson and Felton roads south of the Historic Lyndon Bridge.
• Howard Road north of Thunder Road.
• River Road and Jersey Road along the Rock River from Erie to Sand Road, west of Hillsdale.
• Galena Trail Road from Henry to Wilson roads.
• Fairhaven and Wagner roads, Wagner to Wysox Road, and Wysox to Middle Road.
• Lovers Lane from Schnell Road to Clark Road.
No closures were reported in Lee County.