Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

Property tax assistance help available

MORRISON – Homeowners across the Sauk Valley can register for exemptions on their property taxes.

For each exemption other than the tenant homestead, applicants must be the owner of record or have legal interest in the property, occupy the residence as their primary residence as of Jan. 1, and be responsible for paying the taxes. Applicants only are eligible for the exemption on one residence.

Exemption types, deadlines for Bureau, Carroll, Lee, Ogle and Whiteside counties, tax assessment reduction amounts, and other details are:


Dec. 31, $6,000

Senior Citizen

Dec. 31, $5,000. Must be 65 or older, certification must be renewed annually.

Disabled Veteran

Contact county assessment offices to file with the state for the $100,000 exemption, granted to disabled veterans who served in the armed forces. The exemption must be reviewed annually by certification from the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs to the Department of Revenue.

Home Improvement

Up to $25,000 assessment reduction upon showing a proposed increase in assessed value can be attributed to a new improvement of an existing structure. Remodeling does not qualify. The exemption will continue for 4 years from the date the improvement was completed and occupied. Applications should be filed by the township assessor to the chief county assessor when the improvement is assessed.

Returning Veteran Homestead

Dec. 31, $5,000. Applicants must be a veteran returning from a recent armed conflict, with the reduction granted for the year the veteran returns.

Disabled Veteran Standard Homestead

Dec. 31. Applicants must be a disabled veteran, or an unmarried spouse of a deceased veteran if the exemption had previously been granted to the veteran. A copy of the veteran’s DD214 form must be provided with the initial assessment.

Assessment reduction is based on the degree of the service-connected disability – $2,500 for 30 to 49 percent disability, $5,000 for 50 to 69 percent, and tax-exempt for 70 percent and above. Renewing applicants’ exemption amounts are based on their Jan. 1 rating percentage.

Applications must be renewed annually with proof of percentage of disability in the form of a current year letter. The exemption applies only to the residence, not farmland or farm buildings.

Disabled Person Homestead

Dec. 31, $2,000. The applicant must be a disabled person receiving Social Security disability benefits. The application must be renewed annually.

Tenant Homestead

July 1, $6,000. The applicant must have a leasehold interest in the property, and a tenant occupying the residence as of Jan. 1 of the assessment year. A copy of the lease in force must be on file in the chief county assessment office, and must state that the tenant is liable for paying the property taxes.

The property owner must notify the supervisor of assessments office within 30 days after a tenant moves out. A renewal affidavit also needs to be renewed annually by July 1. The tax bill is mailed to the tenant, and a courtesy copy is mailed to the property owner.

Senior citizen homestead freezes also are available, which freezes the assessed value of the residence at the level of the year before the year applied for. Applicants must be 65 or older, with a total household income of $65,000 or less, and apply by July 1 each year. Applications and income must be renewed and verified annually.

For more information, contact a county assessment office in:

• Bureau: 700 S. Main St., Suite 12, Princeton, www.bureaucounty–, 815-875-6478

• Carroll: 301 N. Main St., P.O. Box 227, Mount Carroll,, 815-244-0237

• Lee: 112 E. Second St., Dixon,, hover over Your Government, then Departments A-M and click on Chief County Assessment, 815-288-4483

• Ogle: 105 S. Fifth St., Oregon,, 815-732-1150

• Whiteside: 200 E. Knox St., Morrison,, 815-772-5195

Loading more