STERLING – A GoFundMe campaign has been established and donations of clothing and other items are being accepted for a family of four who lost everything in a fire around 8 this morning.
The two-story home in 900 block of First Avenue was significantly damaged by the blaze, which may have started with the dryer, Twin City Joint Fire Command Chief Michael Dettman said.
Rachael Rico, 31, and her three children, Alex, 12, Aaliyah, 5, and Christian Rico, 9 months, were renting the home, which is owned by Doug Richards, and was insured.
Rico dropped the older kids off at school and returned to find the house in flames. No one was injured, but the family dog was killed, and all their possessions were destroyed, said her sister, Rosalie Trujillo.
For now, the Ricos are staying with Rachael’s mother, Christine Rico, at 708 Locust St. Donations of clothing, toys and household items can be taken there.
Christian wears a size 4 diaper, size 4 shoes, and 18- to 24-month clothing; he’s also on Enfamil baby formula.
Aaliyah wears a size 4, and girls shoes size 10; and Alex, who’s in seventh grade, wears a boys 16 or an adult small, and size 9 1/2 shoes.
Rachael is a woman’s medium, and with size 6 1/2 or 7 in shoes.
Go to gofundme.com/rico-family-of-5-house-fire for more information and to donate.