Catholic Schools Week activities will start Sunday in Dixon, Sterling, and Rock Falls.
This year’s theme is “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service.”
Bishop David J. Malloy will celebrate an All Schools Mass at 10 a.m. Friday at Newman Central Catholic High School, 1101 St. Mary St., Sterling. The public is welcome.
Other schools, by address, are St. Anne School and Church, 712 N. Brinton Ave., and St. Mary Elementary and Junior High, 704 S. Peoria Ave, both in Dixon; St. Andrew, 701 11th Ave., Rock Falls: and St. Mary School in Sterling, 6 W. Sixth St.
Sunday Masses, with student participation are:
• St. Anne Church: 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A student-cooked breakfast will be from 8 a.m. to noon. Donations will be accepted.
• St. Patrick Church: Masses at 8 and 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. at 612 Highland Ave. Breakfast after the morning Masses will be in the Holloway Center at the church. The cost is $5 for adults, $3 for children, or $20 per family.
Students will provide entertainment, with projects displayed.
• St. Andrew Church: 9:30 a.m. at 708 10th Ave.
• In Sterling: 10 a.m. at St. Mary Church, 509 Avenue B, and 11 a.m. at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 2224 Avenue J.
School activities open to the public, by day are:
• Monday: The rosary recited at 8 a.m., with a proclamation by Dixon Mayor Li Arellano. A spelling bee will be at 10 a.m., and a dance-a-thon from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Father Callahan Room. Students will donate $1 or more. All proceeds will go to the Blue Nuns of Africa to repair a boiler at the former St. Francis Hospital in Freeport.
The building is being renovated for a home for young mothers.
• Tuesday: Students versus teacher trivia, from 1:30 to 2 p.m. in classrooms and from 2 to 2:30 p.m. in the Father Callahan Room
• Wednesday: Dramatizations of the saints’ lives at 2 p.m., by mother and son team, Tami and Jax Fane
• Thursday: A bake sale from 7:50 a.m. to 3 p.m., and a 10 a.m. visit by the Blue Nuns
St. Mary, Dixon:
• Monday: 9:15 a.m. prayer service
• Tuesday; Adoration service from 1:15 p.m. to 2:10 p.m.
• Wednesday: School Mass at 8:05 a.m. at St. Patrick Catholic Church, and a spelling bee at 10 a.m. in the gym
St. Mary, Sterling:
• Tuesday: Spelling bee at 12:45 p.m. for fifth-through-eighth-grade students, followed by a religion bee for sixth-through-eighth-grade students
• Wednesday: Classroom visits from noon to 1:30 p.m., with a talent show and lip synch contest at 1:30 p.m.
For more information, call St. Anne at 815-288-5619; St. Mary in Dixon, 815-284-6986; St. Andrew, 815-625-1456: Newman, 815-625-0500; and St. Mary in Sterling, 815-625-2253.