FORRESTON – Earth Angels, headed by Linda "Granny" Straith of Forreston, will collect toys and donations for Christmas gifts for needy families in Ogle County through Dec. 15.
According to the news release, the goal is to reach families that have “fallen through the system” and are unable to receive any kind of assistance.
Sign-up and screening begins Nov. 13.
At the drop sites, the public is welcome to pick a child to buy gifts for, purchase the gift, attach the child's tag, and return the gift to the drop site by Dec. 15 or call Straith at 779-771-4591 for pickup. After Dec. 15, any toys or donations will be accepted through Dec. 25 at Mount Morris Senior Center, 9 E. Front St.
Drop sites for donations are at:
• Byron: ReRuns Consignment Shop, 120 W. Second St.; Stillman Bank, 608 W. Blackhawk Drive; Byron Bank, 5653 N. Junction Way
• Davis Junction: Dollar General, 101 Parkway St.
• Dixon: O'Reilly's Auto Parts, 1260 N. Galena Ave.
• Forreston: Forreston State Bank, 200 Main St., flyers and tags only; Forreston Public Library, 204 First Ave.; and Koeller Hardware, 104 E. Main St., flyers and tags only
• Leaf River: Bertolet Memorial Library, 705 S. Main St.; Citgo, state Route 72; Vintage Chicks & Feed Store, 700 state Route 72
• Mount Morris: Sterling Federal Bank, 18 W. Main St.; Mount Morris Senior Center; Mount Morris Moose Family Center, 101 Moose Drive 4 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Saturday; Angel Treasures, 4045 state Route 64, flyers and tags only; St. Bride Episcopal Church, 1000 state Route 64, 9 a.m. to noon Sunday only, in the foyer entryway
• Oregon: Rock River Center, 810 S. 10th St.; Kunes Auto Mall, 601 Gale St.; Creative Designs, 306 W. Washington St.; Dollar General, 1050 Pines Road; St. Paul Lutheran Church, 114 S. Fifth St. 8:30 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday at north entrance doors; Stillman Bank, 1445 state Route 2 North
• Polo: Blackhawk Area Credit Union, 201 E. Dixon St.; Polo Public Library, 302 W. Mason St.
• Rochelle: Sawicki Motors, 1260 N. Seventh St.; Stillman Bank, 455 state Route 38 West, and Russell's Cellular – Verizon, 1225 S. Caron Drive
• Gifts will be distributed from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 18 to 22.
Monetary donations can be mailed to Earth Angel, P.O. Box 188, Forreston, IL 61030-0188 or Earth Angel Fund, in care of Forreston State Bank, 200 Main St., P.O. Box 278, Forreston, IL 61030-0278.
Volunteers also can help wrap, pick up, or deliver gifts.
Also available this year is Granny's Mail Bag. Letters or Christmas cards addressed to "Dear Soldier" can be left in the mailbags or mailboxes at the drop sites. The deadline is Dec. 10.
Call Straith to volunteer or for more information. Information also is available on Facebook at Earth Angel Granny.