LYNDON – Built 120 years ago, the bridge that spans the Rock River from Lyndon to Prophetstown almost never existed.
In 1886, when plans to build the bridge first materialized, the funding didn’t. After construction began, work was halted for 8 years before it was completed.
Cars haven’t been able to cross it since 1980, and in the ’90s, officials tried to burn it down altogether. But thanks to local efforts and a petition started by the Lyndon Area Historical Society, the bridge still stands. On May 9, 2003, it was officially placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The historical landmark is the centerpiece, and site, of Bridge Bash, a fundraiser for the Lyndon Area Historical Society on Oct. 5.
With food, fun, games, and a photographer, the Lyndon Area Historical Society invites the public to enjoy a day hanging out on one of the oldest remaining bridges in Whiteside County.
The afternoon-long event will begin at 1 p.m.