It's summer. It hasn't necessarily been hot outside for many days, but it's the warmest time of the year.
Tempers tend to flare a bit more on the roads. So this week we asked our Facebook friends to let their anger flow and share their biggest pet peeves about how other people drive.
Let's just say there are MANY things Sauk Valley drivers don't like about their peers. In fact, there were 28 pet peeves offered. That's a lot of road rage!
Here, then, is your list of top pet peeves about other drivers. (Of course, we know you never do anything behind the wheel that enrages anyone else!)
1. Texting or talking on a cellphone while driving.
"Almost had a girl sideswipe us once because her face was in her phone," offered Amber Cech.
Even though it's illegal in Illinois to text or talk (unless it's hands free) on a cellphone while driving, it doesn't seem to have stopped many people from doing so. The fact that it's illegal might also add to your ire when you see others doing it.
That and, as Deborah Slager wrote, having to "take the ditch" because the phone talker has crossed the center line.
2. Not using turn signals.
A close second in the polling. Also mentioned by our Facebookers was people who have their turn signal on but are not planning to turn. Grrr!
3. People who pull in front of you, slow down, and then turn.
Also mentioned: Having a driver race to pass you, only to make a turn shortly after. Double grrr!!
4. Slow drivers.
People especially dislike slow drivers in the fast (left) lane. Understandably.
5. Turning left and stopping traffic.
A very specific pet peeve, but one that in many cases seems unavoidable if you have to get somewhere.
6. Loud/no mufflers or loud music.
7. Rolling through a stop sign.
Other peeves mentioned:
• Cops who get away with DUI.
• Following too closely.
• Wipers on. Lights on. We guess that means a pet peeve is drivers who don't have their lights on when it's raining.
• Leaving their dog in a hot car.
• Making a right turn from the left lane.
• Not moving into the opposite lane when driving by vehicles that have pulled over and off the road.
• Driving straight through an S curve.
• Stopping to turn when there is no oncoming traffic.
• Swinging into the left lane to make a right turn.
• Bad parallel parking.
• Fast drivers. (Apparently less offensive than slow drivers. Go figure.)
• People who drive slow, then speed up in a passing zone.
• People who speed through zones with kids.
• Cars that pull in front of motorcycles.
• Motorcycles that pull in front of cars.
• Cutting across traffic to get to the turn lane.
• The police. (We'll assume the Facebook friend was not referring to Sting.)
Michelle Anderson got very specific with her pet peeve: "Everybody racing over the overpass on route 40 and as soon as it goes down to two lanes, they go 50!!! And then turn on Thome Road!!!
And Deja Lee Coulter got right to the point. "People drive stupid around here."
Enough said. Happy driving! Stay friendly out there!