CHICAGO – To get away to the Windy City and grab some culture at the same time can be accomplished Aug. 8 in the Chicago Arts District.
This area was once called Pilsen East. Its blocks focus on art and creativity, containing studios, galleries, and shops.
Second Fridays Gallery Night is an immersion into the world of art, absorbed during a self-guided walking tour of many locations around South Halsted and 18th streets. Thirty creative places and more than 100 artists contribute to the experience.
The first stop on the tour should be the information center at 1821 S. Halsted. There visitors will find maps and details about the evening, which runs from 6 to 10 p.m.
This walk gives guests a chance to meet the artists and gallery owners, who will answer questions and give information.
According to Sandra Zhong of the district, some of the highlights are:
– The PosterchildArt improv series – a live performance at TEMPLE Gallery.
– Chocolate by Uzma Sharif – edible art in the form of handmade chocolates.
– Bryan Sperry's Warriors of the Apocalypse – sculptures.
– Blumgarten & Co. – florists, known for wedding arrangements.
– Xavier Nuez photographer – captures the beauty of Alleys & Ruins.
– NYCH Gallery offers a wide variety of media, from paintings to fashion and interior designs. The name is pronounced "niche."
– 11 Seventeen Studio, exhibiting Ylisse Bess – local artists will show a new perspective on interviewing.
Many locations serve wine and snacks during the walk for those who would like some refreshments.
The next walk will be Sept. 12, followed by the 44th annual Pilsen East Artists Open House Oct. 10-11.
For those wanting to make an entire day in Chicago art-filled, before the walk, try a visit to the Art Institute of Chicago, open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Prices for state residents are $20 for adults and $14 for seniors and students. Children younger than 14 get in free. The institute is at 111 S. Michigan Ave.
Its works contain textiles, paintings, sculptures, armor, miniatures, and much more.
If you go
What: Second Fridays Gallery Night
When: 6 to 10 p.m. Aug. 8
Where: Chicago Arts District, South Halsted and 18th streets in Chicago
Information: visit chicagoartsdistrict.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-738-8000, ext. 108