DIXON – In about a week, repairs to nearly 20 sections of city streets will get underway.
The work is part of the city's street maintenance program and will cost about $480,000, Commissioner Jeff Kuhn said during Monday night's City Council meeting.
Jim George and Sons LLC of Sycamore will do the seal coat work, and Universal Asphalt and Excavating Inc. of LaSalle will do the resurfacing.
While Universal told Kuhn the work could be finished in 4 days, the commissioner expects it to take several weeks.
In March, Kuhn asked residents to submit recommendations as to which city streets should be repaired, and he later drove those streets and others to determine which were priorities to be repaired.
The goal was to repair some streets in each part of the city, Kuhn said.
Eleven portions of Dixon streets will get completely resurfaced, Kuhn said, and streets and alleys that got seal coating last year will get addition coating.
There were also six portions of roads that will get some repairs, but not complete resurfacing.
"These were ones that I can't afford to do the whole street," Kuhn said. "But I can afford to remove the really worst part of it."
The complete resurfacing involves Universal grinding down the roads a few inches and then raising the manholes, Kuhn said, before the blacktop is added.
The City Council placed two engineering contracts with Willett, Hofmann and Associates on file Monday night.
The agreements are for work to City Hall and to the Monroe Avenue garage.
The City Hall work has been budgeted at $75,000, Mayor Jim Burke said.
It includes general brick repairs, tuck pointing, brick cleaning and sealing on the outside, in addition to painting, new wall and floor coverings and new toilet fixtures on the inside.
The engineering services for the Monroe Avenue garage will be for the demolition of some of the garage and the repair of other portions.
The City Council unanimously voted to place the City Hall contract on file and voted 4-1 to place the Monroe Avenue garage contract on file, with Commissioner Dennis Considine voting against.
Street maintenance program
• Mary Avenue, from Phyllis to Tilton Park drives
• Tilton Park Drive, from Mary to Ann avenues
• North Jefferson Avenue, from Chamberlin to McKenney streets
• Fox Trot Lane, from Northridge to Deer Chase
• West First Street, from Lincoln to Van Buren avenues
• West Second Street, from Sherman to Logan avenues
• Kings Court
• South Peoria, from Seventh Street to Galena Avenue
• Cedar Street, from Hemlock to Chestnut avenues
• Spruce Street, halfway from Walnut to Fargo avenues
• Part of Raynor Road
• Third coat on all streets and alleys done in 2013
• The alley west of Galena Avenue from Park to Graham streets
• Autumnwood Lane off Brinton Avenue
• Apple Street off Brinton Avenue
• Apple Street off Jefferson Avenue
• South Dixon Avenue off Second Street
• Intersection of Washington Avenue and Cushing Street
• Trail Drive near Grand Oaks Lane
The Dixon City Council's next regular meeting is at 5:30 p.m. July 21 at City Hall, 121 W. Second St., on the second floor in the Council Chambers.
Go to www.DiscoverDixon.org or call City Hall at 815-288-1485 for an agenda or more information.