Hiring? Check credentials first
Against my wishes, my 90-year-old dad hired a man from an ad to roof his house.
I can’t say his name here, but, oh, how I wish I could.
Please, before you hire anyone, make sure they have all the proper credentials to do a major project like this. My dad can hardly get around anymore, and this guy completely took advantage of him.
Now he says the roof leak can be fixed. You can’t just get up there and patch a new roof after the shingle glue has set up. Even though a few have said this can be done, those who say this don’t have the Illinois credentials for roofing.
1. You don’t put different lot number shingles with a different lot number that don’t match.
2. You don’t put shingles on backward like this guy did.
3. He or his worker stepped or set a bundle of shingles on one of the roof vents; this didn’t get replaced, either.
4. Instead of taking the satellite dish off and shingling there, he shingled around it and left shingles there with an open hole for water and snow to pool.
5. When starting the starter strip, he put nails where there is no wood to hold the nails because this is where one of the leaks is. Another leak also is at a starter strip.
6. Next he says for $400 he’ll come back and fix the leak. Problem is, that’s not the only leak, as about 4 feet from there is the other leak.
Get ahold of me if you’d like information on this guy. I have pictures to prove this guy is just what I say. There are pictures on my Facebook page if you’d like to see them. Message me for more information.