MORRISON – There’s no better promise of summer than the day the Whiteside County Fair releases its promise to return to the fairgrounds in Morrison, in the form of its annual entertainment lineup.
That day was Friday.
This year’s 144th annual Whiteside County Fair will run Aug. 12-16 at the fairgrounds at 201 W. Winfield St.
Following are some of the highlights. The grandstand entertainment begins at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted:
• Tuesday: Pro-Bull Riding returns to the grandstand.
Other events that day: Western horse show, 8 a.m.; open and junior swine judging, noon and 4:30 p.m.; kids pedal pull, 2 p.m.; rabbit judging, 6 p.m.
• Wednesday: Columbia Records recording artists Home Free (www.homefreevocalband.com), an a capella country group and winner of NBC’s “The Sing-Off,” play the grandstand.
Also that day: Western horse speed events, 8 a.m.; dairy judging, 9 a.m.
• Thursday: Solution Action Sports’ Freestyle Madness Tour, featuring BMX bike and FMX motorcycle riders performing various tricks in front of the grandstand.
Also: Heavy horse hitches judging, 9 a.m. in front of the grandstand; beef cattle, junior heifer and junior steer judging, 9 a.m. in the Beef Show Arena; and new this year, ranch sorting, noon in the Gold Star Arena, which pits horse and rider and their ability to sort cattle against the clock.
• Friday: Antique tractor parade, 5:45 p.m.; truck and tractor pull, 6:30 p.m.
Also: Heavy horse halter classes, 9 a.m. in the grandstand; open beef show judging, 9 a.m. in the Beef Show Arena; harness racing, 1:30 p.m. in the grandstand.
• Saturday: Demolition derby, 6:30 p.m.
Also: Horseshoe tournament, 10 a.m.; kids pedal pull, 11 a.m.; harness racing, 1 p.m.
• The whole 5 days: In addition to the usual exhibits, vendors and concession stands, Wilson Family Rides will again provide carnival and midway attractions; the Grandpa Cratchet Stage Show returns, and there will be daily bike giveaways and the cake and pie walk.
Go to whitesidecountyfair.org for more information, or contact Todd Mickley, head of fair publicity and advertising, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-772-2793.