Dixon man loses 'materials’ in fire
Resident relieved that ‘everyone made it out safe’
DIXON – Joe Leif wasn’t home when fire scorched his Dixon apartment, but his girlfriend and her daughter were. Luckily, his girlfriend discovered the fire before anyone was hurt.
The Dixon City Fire Department got a call about the fire at 404 W. Second St. at 9:42 p.m. Saturday. Though they haven’t been able to officially determine a source of the flames, which started in a closet, Chief Tim Shipman noted the closet had an an electric light fixture, which might have been to blame.
Leif, 27, who was with some friends in Rock Falls at the time the fire started, lived in an upstairs apartment.
His girlfriend was lying on a bed when she first noticed the flames.
“There was no scent to the fire, really,” he said. “She didn’t realize it until she saw flames.”
The apartment’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors were located above the closet, he said, and rather than going off, they melted.
Leif said that the apartment sustained a lot of smoke damage, and the fire pretty much ruined the living room.
He lost all of his clothes in the blaze, as well as some photographs. His television melted, as did his brand new Playstation 4, and an older Playstation 3.
“But it’s all stuff that can be replaced,” he said. “It’s all material. The important thing is that everyone made it out safe.”
Shipman said that two other apartments in the building had water damage, only one of which had been occupied.
Leif stayed with a friend until he was able to find a new apartment Monday morning.