Nearly 200 Illinois fire departments and fire protection districts – including 10 in Whiteside, Ogle, Bureau and Carroll counties – will share $4 million in state grant money to help them buy safety equipment, protective clothing, breathing apparatuses, and other tools.
Gov. Pat Quinn and state Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis announced the recipients of the small equipment grants for 193 departments Friday in Springfield. The money comes from a small percentage of the sales of all fire insurance sold in Illinois. Departments are eligible for up to $26,000 each.
The fire marshal’s office received 389 applications requesting more than double the money available. Each application was examined in a blind review by a committee of fire service members, the office said in a news release.
The grant recipients:
In Whiteside County:
• Prophetstown Fire Protection District, $25,340
• Sterling Fire Department, $20,000
• Rock Falls Fire Department, $12,000
In Ogle County:
• Stillman Fire Protection District, $15,419
In Bureau County:
• Bureau Fire Protection District, $25,515
• Mineral Gold Fire Protection District, $26,000
• Neponset Fire Protection District, $20,476
• Walnut Fire Protection District, $26,000
• Wyanet Fire Protection District, $26,000
In Carroll County:
• Milledgeville Fire Protection District, $17,115
Go to www.sfm.illinois.gov for more information.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.