ROCK FALLS – No injuries were reported today at Montmorency School, 9415 Hoover Road, as smoke on the roof prompted school officials to send students home.
"There was smoke," said first-year Principal Alex Moore. He said the school nurse was on her way back from lunch when "she noticed something." At that point, Moore said, the building was cleared and the fire department was called.
Moore said he received a call about the building evacuation at 11:50 a.m.
The decision to evacuate the building was made immediately, Moore added. "They evacuated first before they contacted me … Procedure was followed to a T."
A company was called in to take a look at the possible source of the smoke on the rooftop, Moore said.
"Initially, it appeared it may have been a belt that was smoking, so there wasn't actually a fire," he said.
Moore said that because it appeared that there was a fire, officials wanted to ensure students' safety and "make them the first priority."
Moore, who taught at the school for 7 years and formerly in Polo, said he benefited from his experience as a security officer in college.
"I had experience dealing with issues like this. The teachers were very calm. It seemed liked chaos, but the chaos was really more the younger children who were upset because they didn't understand what was going on. We tried to comfort them and get everything in line."