February is sweeps rating month for television networks. It's a time when Nielsen sends out weeklong TV viewing diaries to U.S. homes and aggregates the results.
OK, I'm already bored with talks of ratings and sweeps. But I figured I'd use sweeps month as an opportunity to do some lists about TV shows.
Today's list is of my 10 favorites of all time. Let's get right to it.
1. "Twin Peaks" (1990-91) Yes, the show was short-lived. Yes, Season 2 was kind of a mess. But, dang, it was fun, and weird. And wonderful.
2. "The X-Files" (1993-2002) Paranomal phenomena, aliens, government conspiracies, Mulder and Scully. What's not to love? And, yes, it was weird.
3. "Lost" (2004-2010) A plane crashes on a tropical island that might have polar bears and a deadly smoky mist, and might be able to shift through space and time. Fantastic.
4. "24" (2001-2010) Each season of 24 episodes spans 24 hours in the life of Jack Bauer, a Counter Terrorist Unit agent who also happens to be one of the best characters in TV history. And the show is returning this spring!
5. "The Brady Bunch" (1969-1974) This admittedly cheesy show about the blended family of two widowers was part of the greatest Friday night television lineup of all time. That included ...
6. "The Partridge Family" (1970-1974) For a few years, I took my lunch to school in a Partridge Family lunchbox. Enough said.
7. "The Sopranos" (1999-2007) While Jack Bauer is one of the best TV characters of all time, Tony Soprano is the best. Amazing acting and writing. Still can't turn away from it whenever it shows up on my HBO.
8. "Breaking Bad" (2008-2013) After 3 or 4 years of hearing people tell me how great this show was, I finally headed to Netflix and caught up. And, wow, were they right! Perhaps the most emotionally draining show ever. Walter White would also be on my list of all-time favorite TV characters.
9. "Happy Days" (1974-1984) Ayyy!
10. "Seinfeld" (1989-1998) Funniest sitcom ever. Period. But I'll admit, I've tired of all of the people who STILL recite lines from the show.
So, what are your all-time favorite TV shows?