As our family sat in the living room watching The Grammys award show, I confessed that I had never heard the song "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke.
Well, actually, it was more of a boast than a confession.
Our 13-year-old daughter looked at me as if to say, "What planet are you from, anyway?!"
You see, I don't listen to Top 40. Haven't for a long time.
I listen mostly to what many people would call alternative music. Doesn't mean I won't play some classic rock every now and then, but I generally prefer to listen to something new – often something not quite mainstream.
You should know this before I give you my list of favorite albums of 2013. Here they are:
1. "Opposites," Biffy Clyro
2. "Waiting for the Dawn," The Mowgli's
3. "Modern Vampires of the City," Vampire Weekend
4. "Bad Blood," Bastille
5. "Trouble Will Find Me," The National
6. "Wolf's Law," The Joy Formidable
7. "Spreading Rumours," Grouplove
8. "BIG TV," White Lies
9. "Reflektor," Arcade Fire
10. "AM," Arctic Monkeys
11. "Vessel," Twenty One Pilots
12. "Wake Up," Youngblood Hawke
13. "Pine Trails," Satellite Stories
14. "Doom Loop," Mansions
15. "Pedestrian Verse," Frightened Rabbit
16. "Hundred Thousand Pieces," Krief
17. "Weekend," The Sounds
18. "MCII," Mikal Cronin
19. "A Dead Man On My Back: Shine Honesty Revisited," Quiet Company
20. "I'm Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams," Diarrhea Planet
21. "... Like Clockwork," Queens of the Stone Age
22. "Up, On & Over," Bronze Radio Return
23. "A Bad Girl in Harlem," New Politics
24. "Heartthrob," Teagan and Sara
25. "Fade Away," Best Coast
If you wish to listen to any of these albums, I've embedded a link to a Spotify playlist with all of the songs on all of the albums. I think you'll need a Spotify account to listen to them. But if you aren't on Spotify yet, you should be. You can have a free account, if you can put up with commercials between every few songs.
I welcome any thoughts about this list. But I'm more interested in hearing what your favorite albums or songs of 2013 were.