Fog/Mist
32°FFog/MistFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Fire damages longtime vacant Compton motel

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014 1:15 a.m. CST

COMPTON – A space heater is being blamed for fire damage at a motel that has been vacant for a dozen years or so, Compton Fire Chief Chuck Montavon said.

Two suites were burned and a third sustained smoke damage at the former Sweet Dreams Motel, at state Route 251 and U.S. Route 30, Montavon said Monday. The cord to the space heater had melted into the carpet, he said.

A passerby reported the fire around 6:45 p.m. Thursday, and it took about 3 hours to put it out, he said.

The owner, whose name Montavon did not know, lives in the other end of the building, which was not damaged.

No one was injured.

National video



Reader Poll

Rock Falls is considering a ban on leaf burning. Should the city finally take that step?
Yes. Sterling and Dixon have had bans for years. It’s time for Rock Falls to impose a ban.
No. It would be too great a burden for homeowners to dispose of fallen leaves in other ways.
Not sure
No opinion