Your Weekend Top 5
Dixon VFW celebrates anniversary
DIXON – Dixon Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 540 will celebrate its 90th anniversary with an event Sunday at the post, 1560 state Route 38. There will be a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Then, starting at 2 p.m., there will be a presentation about the post's history and work it does in the community. There also will be cake.
From Nashville to Sterling
STERLING – Country guitar rock will be brought to Champs Sports Bar and Grill on Saturday by the Ashley Buchart Band, featuring Guy Ash. The band is led by Nashville recording artist Ashley Buchart. The band has been touring nationally since 2009, playing at country honky tonks, festivals, fairs, casinos and theaters. The band takes the stage at 9 p.m. at the bar, 216 Locust St.
Listen to live music
Here are some opportunities to listen to live music this weekend in the Sauk Valley:
• Richard Dean Johnson will play from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday at Books on First, 202 W. First St., in Dixon.
• Drop Dead Dolly will play Saturday at Long Shot Bar and Grill, 3312 W. Rock Falls Road, in Rock Falls.
• Lyle Grobe and the Rhythm Ramblers play from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Sterling Moose Lodge, 2601 E. Lincolnway.
• Pie Filler plays from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday at Jeff's Refs, 113 W. Mason, in Polo.
• Buck Neck-Ed, with Zac Matthews, plays at 8 p.m. today at Poopy's, 1030 Viaduct Road, Savanna. Menace will play there at 8 p.m. Saturday.
Fourth Fridays in Sterling
STERLING – Fourth Fridays: Where People and Art Collide brings art and music to a variety of downtown venues. Most events are from 6 to 8 p.m., although many places have musicians performing into the night. Walking maps with a complete list of venues and events, and more information, are available at www.fourthfridayspac.com, at any participating venue, by calling Sterling Main Street at 815-626-8610, emailing fourthFridaysPAC@gmail.com, or by finding it on Facebook.
Ladies night out at Sauk
DIXON – Plus Size Boutique will present a "You Are So Beautiful" ladies night out Saturday in the east mall and theater of Sauk Valley Community College, 173 state Route 2. There will be a fashion show, vendors, appetizers, and a gift raffle. Proceeds go to SVCC scholarships for the college's certified nursing assistant program, and the YMCA of the Sauk Valley's domestic violence program and career center. Doors open at 5 p.m., with a program starting at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at the boutique, 303 First Ave., Rock Falls.