Digital Access

Digital Access
Access saukvalley.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from SaukValley.com, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
State

Landfill odor sickens school students, staff

A young boy is taken on a stretcher from Cortland Elementary School on Tuesday after gas released from the nearby landfill got caught in the school's ventilation system, making staff and students nauseous. None of the injuries or illnesses were life-threatening.
A young boy is taken on a stretcher from Cortland Elementary School on Tuesday after gas released from the nearby landfill got caught in the school's ventilation system, making staff and students nauseous. None of the injuries or illnesses were life-threatening.

CORTLAND – Classes will resume today at Cortland Elementary School after an incident at the Waste Management landfill Tuesday sent more than 60 people to the hospital for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure.

DeKalb District 428 crews noticed an odor at the elementary school just before 10 a.m., Superintendent James Briscoe said. Waste Management spokeswoman Lisa Disbrow said a contractor performing construction at the landfill hit a pocket of old decomposing garbage, releasing the odor, but no methane gas into the air.

“Any future work will be performed only when favorable conditions exist or the school is not in session as we complete this construction project,” Disbrow said in a prepared statement. “We hope to have this project completed in the next 2 weeks, again based upon favorable conditions.”

Officials had not determined late Tuesday what chemicals caused the odor. Neither the school’s nor the landfill’s hydrogen sulfide monitors alarmed, and firefighters did not find carbon monoxide at the school.

An inspector from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency’s bureau of land will visit the site Thursday, said Kim Biggs, a spokeswoman for the environmental agency. Biggs said Waste Management officials described a heavy sour odor.

The wind carried that odor to the school, where it got caught in the ventilation system, Briscoe said.

“Our ventilation system is good, but it was just so concentrated,” Briscoe said. “We opened doors, and it wasn’t long before you couldn’t smell anything.”

Despite school officials’ efforts, 63 students and staff reported headaches, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms and went to Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb. About 530 students attend Cortland Elementary,

William Zaver watched fellow students in his fourth-grade class develop sore throats after the overpowering odor moved through the school Tuesday morning.

“I saw three people in my class get sick,” 10-year-old Zaver said. “It smelled a lot like gas.”

The nausea students and staff reported feeling Tuesday morning was due to minor carbon monoxide exposure, said Michael Kulisz, chief medical officer for KishHealth System.

Kulisz suggested parents monitor their children for headaches, nausea and vomiting for about 24 hours. Fresh air is the first course of treatment, but parents should use their judgment about whether they need to bring children into the emergency room to be given oxygen, he said.

According to Cortland Assistant Fire Chief Kelly Davis, when emergency crews first responded to the scene their tests for air quality showed no levels of any contaminants such as carbon monoxide.

“Our air quality monitoring showed no levels of anything at all. Not from the initial sweep through the time the last units left the scene,” Davis said.

The low levels of carbon monoxide were detected using an oximeter on students and staff who reported feeling ill. The doctor on the scene recommended those patients be transported to the emergency room, Davis added.

Parents were told early Tuesday afternoon that they could pick up their children, and remaining children were taken to the cafeteria, where the ceilings are higher, until buses could take them home at the normal time.

“I got a voicemail from the school saying there was an issue,” said Chris Fowler as he walked his son Rowan, 8, out of the school.

“It smelled like a dump,” said Rowan, a second grade student.

Firefighter/paramedics from several departments responded, including Cortland, DeKalb, Sycamore, Genoa-Kingston, Maple Park, Rochelle, Elburn, Burlington and Hinckley. First responders included nine ambulances, three fire engines and one rescue squad carrying more than 30 emergency personnel.

Fire officials cleared the scene around 3 p.m. after 4 hours there, Davis said.

Loading more