It had been a while since I took a quiz, let alone a pop quiz, but that all ended Wednesday night at CGH Medical Center.
I was there to cover a public meeting for the Whiteside County Comprehensive Plan project. The meeting started with a pop quiz to see just how much the meeting attendees knew about their county. It included seven multiple-choice and 12 matching questions, put together by Jason Valerius and Steve Haring of MSA Professional Services.
Considering I haven’t lived here for too long, I was pretty happy with my score, depending on the grading curve. But I thought I’d give you the chance to grade yourself.
While we didn’t reveal scores at the meeting, in the spirit of transparency, I posted mine below. The answers are also posted below.
1) According to the American Community Survey (2007-2011), what percentage of houses in Whiteside County were built in 1939 or earlier?
A. 7.9 percent
B. 15.1 percent
C. 26.5 percent
D. 52 percent
2) According to the 2012 Census, which of the following age groups make up the largest share of Whiteside County’s population?
A. Under 18
B. 25 to 34
C. 50 to 64
D. 65 and older
3) Based on the American Community Survey (2007-2011), more than 92 percent of Whiteside County residents used a motor vehicle to get to work. What percentage of those carpooled?
A. 2 percent
B. 5 percent
C. 13 percent
D. 21 percent
4) According to the American Community Survey (2007-2011), what is the largest employment sector in Whiteside County?
A. Health care
C. Agriculture and forestry
5) The county population was 62,431 in 2010, according to the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. What is the projected population for the county in 2030?
A. 61,199 (2 percent decrease)
B. 64,321 (3 percent increase)
C. 68,134 (9 percent increase)
D. 72,439 (16 percent increase)
6) What is the county’s median household income (based on the 2007-2011 American Community Survey)?
7) According to the American Community Survey (2007-2011), what percentage of Whiteside County residents also work within the county?
A. 19.4 percent
B. 32.1 percent
C. 51.5 percent
D. 68.9 percent
8) Match each municipality with its unique characteristic:
A - Deer Grove; B - Sterling; C - Morrison; D - Tampico; E - Albany; F - Como; G - Rock Falls; H - Fulton; I - Lyndon; J - Prophetstown; K - Erie; L - Coleta
n Once named “The Hardware Capital of the World”
n Home of the historic Hennepin Canal
n Located along the nation’s first transcontinental highway
n Known for its Dutch heritage
n Most growth of all municipalities since 1990
n Site of a recent pipeline explosion
n Home of the Hopewell burial mounds, once a center of Hopewell culture
n Birthplace of Ronald Reagan
n Known as the “Crow Capital of the World”
n Highest portion of residents with graduate degrees in the county
n Home of Gibbs machine, producing aluminum molds for the plastics industry
n Least populous municipality in the county
Answers: 1-C; 2-C; 3-A; 4-A; 5-C; 6-B; 7-B; 8-B-G-C-H-J-K-E-D-I-F-L-A
I ended the first seven with five correct answers. My two wrong moves came on Question 4, when I answered C, and Question 7, when I answered D.
On the matching, I did far worse. I got half correct, but have to admit I guessed on a few that I got correct. I wasn’t able to correctly match Morrison, Fulton, Prophetstown, Lyndon, Como, and Coleta with their characteristic.
So how did you do?
Sauk Valley Media reporter Matt Mencarini covers government and happenings in Sterling and Rock Falls. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 815-625-3600, ext. 529. Follow him on Twitter: @MattMencarini.