Fog/Mist
66°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Security guard injured in Woodhaven blast

Gas from propane tank causes trailer explosion

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013 1:15 a.m. CDT

SUBLETTE – A Woodhaven Lakes security guard was severely burned while investigating an odor Sunday that later resulted in an explosion “heard for several miles.”

A parked trailer at the private camping resort filled with liquid propane from an attached tank and blew up from the gas in it, said Sublette Fire Chief Doug Erbes.

The injured Woodhaven security guard was investigating the suspicious odor and had just shut off a liquid propane tank when the explosion occurred.

“He was at the wrong spot, at the wrong time,” Erbes said.

The security guard, who was not identified, was taken to Mendota Community Hospital and then transferred to Loyola University Medical Center. He is being treated for burns to his hands and arms, Erbes said.

No condition update was available Monday.

Sublette and Amboy fire departments responded at about 6 p.m. Sunday. The unoccupied trailer was a total loss and two neighboring trailers were damaged by the explosion.

Also, a small liquid propane tank blew up.

Firefighters controlled the fire within 3 hours, but they had to let a tank burn out until about 3 a.m., Erbes said.

“Farmers from 3 or 4 miles away say they could hear the blast,” Erbes said. “It was a strong blast.”

The explosion and fire is under investigation by the state fire marshal.

National video



Reader Poll

An 82-year-old Sterling man recently parachuted from a plane for the first time. Would you ever skydive?
Yes, I've never done it but would try it
Yes, I've already skydived and enjoy it
No, I've never done it and don't want to
No, I've done it and don't want to again