desktop...

Overcast
50°FOvercastFull Forecast

NASCAR: Waltrip Racing down to two cars, reduces workforce

And then there were two

Published: Monday, Oct. 14, 2013 11:33 p.m. CST
Caption
(AP)
Michael Waltrip Racing will run only two full-time cars next season because of the loss of sponsor NAPA. Team owners Michael Waltrip (pictured) and Rob Kauffman began telling employees of their decision Monday.

CONCORD, N.C. – Michael Waltrip Racing will run only two full-time cars next season because of the loss of sponsor NAPA, part of the fallout from its attempts to manipulate a race to get Martin Truex Jr. into the Chase.

Truex, crew chief Chad Johnston and 15 percent of the workforce were notified Monday they are free to negotiate with other teams. Team co-owner Rob Kauffman said the cuts were across the organization and not limited to Truex’s team.

The car Truex drives will be repurposed into a research and development team next season. It will run a partial schedule beginning with the Daytona 500 with team co-owner Michael Waltrip behind the wheel depending on sponsorship, Waltrip said.

“Today was about doing what we had to do, not what we wanted to do,” Kauffman said.

Truex has been talking to Furniture Row Racing about the seat being vacated by Kurt Busch. MWR is undecided if it will use Truex’s No. 56 on the third car next season, and how many races the car enters will be based on sponsorship.

Also, Ty Norris’ title position will change from general manager of MWR to executive director for business development. Norris has been on indefinite suspension from NASCAR for his role in the Richmond scandal.

The team had previously planned to use co-owner Waltrip in this week’s race at Talladega, and said it will decide later on its driver for the remaining four races.

Up next

What: Camping World RV Sales 500

When: Sunday

Where: Talladega, Ala.

TV: ESPN

 

National video

Reader Poll

How should President Obama handle immigration reform?
Act unilaterally
Work with Congress
Do nothing
I don't know