Veterans memorial wall to be on display at Coliseum
OREGON – The Illinois Patriot Guard Fallen Heroes Traveling Memorial Wall will be in Oregon Oct. 5 and 6, during the Autumn on Parade festival.
The wall, initiated by Gold Star families and the Riders, pays tribute to Illinois military members who gave their lives in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation New Dawn.
It bears the names, portraits, hometowns, ranks and dates of death of each service member.
The wall will be on the lawn behind the Oregon Coliseum at the corner of North Fifth and Franklin streets. It will be inside the Coliseum if the weather is bad.
It includes the names of these area service members:
• Army Pfc. Scott Tyrrell, 21, of Sterling, died Nov. 20, 2003, of wounds received 6 days earlier in Tikrit, Iraq.
• Marine Lance Cpl. Andrew G. Patten, 19, of Byron, killed Dec. 1, 2005, by a roadside bomb in Fallujah, Iraq.
• Army Sgt. Jessica M. Housby, 23, of Rock Island, assigned to the Army National Guard 1644th Transportation Company in Rock Falls, killed Feb. 9, 2009, by a roadside bomb in Route Golden, Iraq.
• Army Pfc. Norman L. Cain III, 22, of Mount Morris, killed March 15, 2009, by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.
• Staff Sgt. Justus S. Bartelt, of Polo, killed in combat in Afghanistan on July 16, 2010.
• Lance Cpl. Alec E. Catherwood, of Byron, killed during a combat mission Oct. 14, 2010, in Afghanistan.
Admission is free; donations to the wall are appreciated.
Go to www.ilpgmemorialwall.com or contact Autumn on Parade at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.