Fair
57°FFairFull Forecast

Kenya claims last push to end siege

Published: Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2013 1:15 a.m. CDT

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) – Kenyan security forces battled al-Qaida-linked terrorists in an upscale mall for a third day Monday in what they said was a final push to rescue the last few hostages in a siege that has left at least 62 people dead.

While the government announced Sunday that “most” hostages had been released, a security expert with contacts inside the mall said at least 10 were still being held by a band of attackers described as “a multinational collection from all over the world.”

The expert, who insisted on anonymity to talk freely about the situation, said many hostages had been freed or escaped in the previous 24 to 36 hours, including some who were in hiding.

However, there were at least 30 hostages when the assault by al-Shabab militants began Saturday, he said, and “it’s clear” that Kenyan security officials “haven’t cleared the building fully.”

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 

National video

Reader Poll

Lee County has a new United Way executive director. Do you donate to your local United Way?
Yes
No