Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

Motorcyclist injured in crash this morning

STERLING – A motorcyclist suffered what appeared to be serious injuries in a collision with a car this morning on East Lincolnway.

The man was immediately taken to CGH Medical Center.

He was heading east on Lincolnway at 45th Avenue, near Staples. Witnesses said a westbound Toyota Prius made a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

An elderly couple was in the Toyota. They didn't appear to suffer any injuries. A young man arrived at the site to comfort the woman, putting his arm around her.

There was major damage to the bike, its parts scattered on the street. The helmet was latched onto the back of the seat, unused.

The Toyota was damaged on its front passenger side. The airbags deployed. The man was driving.

Sterling Police Sgt. Todd Messer said his department may release names of those involved this afternoon.

"As far as we know, the lights were green in both directions," he said.

If that is the case, Messer said, then the Prius' driver was at fault.

Andy Smith, 49, of Dixon, was headed west on Lincolnway. He was behind the Prius, but going straight.

He said he told the others in his car about the Prius: "Look, look! What are they doing?"

He and other witnesses said the motorcycle had the right-of-way.

"It was horrible," he said. "I never saw anything like it before in my life. It's very frightening to see something like that. It took 20 minutes for me to stop shaking."

The elderly couple declined to comment.

Loading more