Registration is on for downtown event
MORRISON – It’s time to register for the annual Paint the Town festival and the Harvest Hammer Duathlon and Run, coming up Sept. 21.
The day begins with the Harvest Hammer 5K Run/Walk and 21-mile bike ride. Also offered are kids races and team and individual events, all starting at Morrison High School. The kids races begin at 8:15 a.m., the duathlon at 9 a.m.; day-of registration begins an hour beforehand.
Go to harvesthammer.org for information on fees, prizes, age classes and a registration form.
As the race concludes, crowds will hit the historic downtown for a day of painting the streets, 5 square feet at time.
Participants of all ages get a 5-by-5-foot square of Main Street to paint as they like, plus a bag with five bottles of paint, paintbrushes, chalk, sponsor giveaways and a collectible Paint the Town T-shirt.
Those who register in person or by mail by 4 p.m. Sept. 19 pay $13 per square; those who register online pay $14 . Registration forms can be downloaded and mailed to CAPA, P.O. Box 45, Morrison, IL 61270 or dropped off at City Hall, 200 W. Main St.
Participants also can register day of for $18 a square.
As the artists work, a strolling mariachi band, other bands and street performers will entertain, and food will be sold. In the evening, there will be dancing in the streets until 9:30 p.m.
The streets will be closed the next day so folks can view the artwork, which, eventually, Mother Nature will erase.
More than 6,000 people are expected to attend Paint the Town, a benefit for the nonprofit Children’s Art Preservation Association, which is dedicated to preserving, framing and exhibiting young artists’ work in local schools and public buildings.
Call the city at 815-772-7657 or go to www.paintthetownmorrison.com for a complete schedule or to register.
Go to www.morrisoncapa.org to learn more about CAPA.
– Noon until evening: Painting on and around Main Street, which will be blocked from Madison to Orange Street.
– Noon to 3 p.m.: Steel Crazy, a 10-piece steel drum band from Aurora, will perform at Main and Genesee streets.
– 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.: Dukes of Mississippi, a classic rock band, will play in the 200 block of Main Street. Sleeping On The Couch, also classic rockers, will play on Market Street.
– Noon to 5 p.m.: Bluegrass and Cajun band Backwater Bayou play at Main and Madison.
– Magician Jason Hamilton will stroll Main Street from noon to 5 p.m..
– Noon to 7 p.m.: Billy The Balloon Guy and Juan Reyna Jr., a caricature artist, will be on Main Street.
– 2:30 to 4 p.m.: Mariachi band Cuerdas Mexicans will stroll Main Street and take requests.
– 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.: John Janssen plays modern country at Main and Genesee.
– 5:50 to 9:30 p.m.: Moonlighting DJ will spin dance tunes at Main and Genesee.