SPRINGFIELD – For the second time in 4 years, Sauk Valley Media has won the top editorial award for mid-sized newspapers in statewide competition sponsored by the Illinois Associated Press Editors Association.
Staff members of the Telegraph and Daily Gazette received 13 awards in all, including six first-place honors, in competition among newspapers with circulation of 15,001 to 40,000. SVM is among the smallest of the newspapers that competed in that class.
The awards were presented Thursday night during the annual dinner of the IAPEA at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Springfield.
Among the first-place editorial awards was one for General Excellence, which assesses all aspects of three randomly selected editions of the newspaper.
Other first-place honors were won for:
– Breaking news reporting, “Feds: Crundwell took $53 million,” Emily Coleman, Tara Becker
– Business reporting, “A lengthy decline,” David Giuliani
– Feature writing, “Not just numbers,” Emily Coleman
– Headline writing, Jeff Rogers
– Photo illustration “Growing Green,” Alex Paschal
Second-place awards were won for:
– Column or blog writing, David Giuliani
– Entertainment writing, “Concert Review: A happy-fest,” Jeff Rogers
– Photo illustration, “Concussed,” Alex Paschal
– Pictorial photo, “Dinner,” Philip Marruffo
– Spot news photo, “Apartment Fire,” Philip Marruffo
– Headline writing, Christopher Heimerman
– Feature photo, “Snow in the Pines,” Alex Paschal
The newspaper staff will pick up 24 more honors today in the annual statewide awards luncheon of the Illinois Press Association.