GALESBURG (AP) — Firefighters groping their way through a smoke-filled house have found and rescued a 3-year-old boy in western Illinois.
Galesburg Fire Department Battalion Chief Todd Peterson said Tuesday that those responding to the overnight fire had to contend with the kind of smoke that reduces visibility to about zero.
He says everyone else had escaped from the house but that firefighters had a hard time finding the boy, who Peterson said was "hunkered down by a bedroom."
The (Galesburg) Register-Mail reports (http://bit.ly/16aFEtr ) that firefighters handed the boy through a window to a police officer. The child was not immediately identified by name. He was flown to a Chicago hospital.
The newspaper reported that he was apparently suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
There was no word on what caused the blaze.