Digital Access

Digital Access
Access saukvalley.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, Daily including the e-Edition or e-Edition only.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from SaukValley.com, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Nation & World

McCain renews proposal for panel to investigate Benghazi

WASHINGTON — Sen. John McCain pressed Sunday for a congressional committee to investigate the attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, last year, insisting that questions about former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s role remain unanswered.

“I don’t know what level of scandal, unquote, this rises to, but I know it rises to the level where it requires a full and complete ventilation of these facts,” McCain, R-Ariz., said on ABC’s “This Week.” “We’re still uncovering information which frankly contradicts the original line that the administration took.”

His comments came after the disclosure that administration emails on talking points about the attack showed that the original CIA document underwent several revisions, including one pushed by the State Department to delete a reference to warnings about the terrorist threat around the facility.

McCain, and Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., first called for such a special panel on Benghazi last November. The proposal attracted new support this past week, since the emails appear to contradict initial claims by White House Spokesman Jay Carney that changes to the talking points in the days after the attack were minor ones.

At least 139 House members back a plan by Rep. Frank R. Wolf, R-Va., to name a special committee. House Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, has so far resisted the proposal, arguing that several committees already looking into the attack can handle the job.

The head of a panel of retired diplomats and ex-military officers, which investigated the attack, said Sunday that there was no reason to conduct another probe into what happened at Benghazi and the U.S. response immediately afterward.

“I don’t see yet any reason why what we did at the accountability review board should be reopened,” retired Ambassador Thomas Pickering on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

He noted that the panel had a narrow mandate to look at security arrangements at the facility. But he acknowledged that the panel had not questioned Clinton, who was still secretary of state, and other State Department officials about their actions.

“We didn’t believe that was necessary, and I don’t see any reason to do so now,” he said.

Instead, he said, when they met with Clinton, they briefed her on their findings.

Rep. Darrel Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said he has asked Pickering and retired Adm. Mike Mullen, who co-chaired the investigation, to answer questions after State Department officials criticized their review in hearings last week.

McCain said Clinton’s role was one issue still to be examined. “I think the secretary of state has played a role in this,” he said. “She had to have been in the loop some way, but we don’t know for sure.”

Loading more