41°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Flooding assistance: Help may be available for heavily damaged properties

One form due by Tuesday

Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:00 p.m. CDT • Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:05 p.m. CDT

Homes, businesses and farms damaged by recent flooding in Whiteside, Ogle, Bureau and Carroll counties, which have been declared disaster areas, may qualify for federal assistance.

To determine if they qualify, an initial damage assessment form must be completed by Tuesday.

Go to to download the Illinois Emergency Management Agency form.

In Whiteside County, the forms can be returned to or faxed to the Whiteside County Sheriff' s Office, 815-772-7944.

Call Emergency Services Disaster Agency coordinator Lt. Doug Buhler at 815-772-5215 or at 815-772-4044 for more information.

In Ogle County, contact ESDA coordinator Candace Humphrey, or 815-732-6666, ext 289.

In Carroll County, contact ESDA coordinator Gregg Miller at the Carroll County Courthouse , 301 N. Main St. in Mount Carroll; call 815-244-9237 weekedays or 815-631-8844 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.

Heavily damaged property in disaster areas also might qualify for a tax reassessment.

To have your flood-damaged property reassessed, you must notify your county's Supervisor of Assessments Office and request a Disaster Area Application for Reassessment form. If granted, the reassessment would affect 2013 taxes that come due in 2014.

In Whiteside County, the office is at the courthouse at 200 E. Knox St. Call Supervisor of Assessments Robin Brands, 815-772-5195, for more information.

Her counterparts are James Harrison, 815-732-1150 in Ogle County; Tom Sweeney, 815-875-6478, in Bureau County; and Annette Gruhn, 815-244-9237, in Carroll County.

National video

Reader Poll

An Illinois lawmaker wants to greatly restrict the use of solitary confinement in state prisons to no more than 5 days in a 150-day period. What do you think?
I agree
I disagree
Not sure
No opinion