64°FFairFull Forecast

Museum offers tours of Read House

Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:15 a.m. CDT

BYRON – Schools and community groups can learn about Byron’s past.

Byron Museum of History, 110 N. Union St., is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. Tours can be arranged for other days and times to accommodate school and group schedules.

Teaching guides and activity materials are available; as is bus parking.

The museum has a large exhibit hall with varied displays, and encompasses the historic Read House, which is listed on the National Underground Railroad Network.

According to the museum’s website, when runaway slaves were in Byron, they found safety in three buildings. The Read House is the only one still standing

The exhibit has a replica of a lamp in a safe house window. Also for children visiting, there is an exhibit in which they can find out how it felt to be runaway slave Henry Brown, who stowed away in a shipping box.

To schedule a tour, contact Marian Michaelis at director@byronmuseum.org or 815-234-5031.

Go to www.byronmuseum.org or call the museum for more information.

More News

National video

Reader Poll

For the first time since 1935, the Chicago Cubs have accomplished a 100-win season. Do you think we have finally reached “next year” – the year the Cubs win the World Series?