Fair
72°FFairFull Forecast

Man faces up to 5 years in prison for injuring two with box-cutter

Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:15 a.m. CDT
Caption
Charles E. Gasso

MORRISON – A Sterling man who is accused of injuring two people with a box cutter during a fight in October 2011 was found guilty Wednesday of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

A Whiteside County jury found Charles E. Gasso, 36, not guilty of a second charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

He will face 2 to 5 years in prison at his June 7 sentencing.

In testimony at Gasso’s arraignment, Sterling Police Officer Shane Bland said he had been called early on Oct. 30, 2011, to the CGH Medical Center emergency room, where two men were being treated for gashes after a fight.

One man told police he and Gasso had been arguing over a girl whom both had dated and met up near Ster-Lynn Estates to fight, and Gasso cut him on the thigh. The other man said he tried to break up the fight and was cut on the back of his head, Bland testified.

Police interviewed Gasso, who said that he did not know there was going to be a fight and that the man hit him first, Bland testified.

Gasso told officers that while the man had him in a headlock, he reached in his pocket and pulled out a box-cutter to “get him off,” Bland told the jury.

 

National video

Reader Poll

Should the United States intensify its attacks on terrorists who belong to ISIS (the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria)?
Yes
No