Blaze levels Rock Falls home

No one injured, but pet dog missing

ROCK FALLS – Nobody was believed to be injured in a Rock Falls house fire Thursday night, however a pet was missing.

When Rock Falls firefighters arrived about 9:35 p.m., the brick home at 215 Avenue D was fully engulfed in flames, Fire Chief J.W. Larson said. Firefighters had the blaze under control about an hour later. No details about the cause of the fire were available at press time.

Neighbors said a big ball of fire emerged as the roof collapsed. Firefighters from a handful of departments were called for assistance, including Sterling, Dixon and Dixon Rural.

"I saw a big ball of fire and a big cloud of smoke," said Kurt Blackburn, who watched from around the corner on Ada Street. "You could hear a hiss from the fire."

By 10 p.m., all that remained was smoldering smoke near the home's foundation.

Ruby Trujillo, who lives on the 200 block of Avenue D, said neighbors contacted the home's resident, who showed up to the scene. Sauk Valley Media was unable to locate him for comment.

Trujillo said the owner was not home at the time of the fire and believes he was the only one who lived there. She also said his dog might have died in the fire.

"He had a little doggie that they were looking for," Trujillo said. "They haven't found it. ... We have a really close neighborhood and he comes by here all the time with his dog.

"This is so sad."