Fire department gets grant
STERLING – Thanks to a $39,690 Federal Emergency Management Agency grant, the Sterling Fire Department will be able to buy new turnout gear – the protective clothing firefighters wear.
“Much of the gear is 7 years old and is in very poor shape,” Sterling Fire Capt. Mike Dettman said. “With the city [in] the financial straits we’ve been in, we haven’t had the opportunity to purchase new gear.”
The sets cost $1,500 to $2,000 each, he said.
“It adds up quick,” Dettman said. “We’re hoping we’ll get 18 sets of turnout gear.”
More Local News
- Academy kicks off fundraising drive
- Prevailing wage called 'crock'
- Dateline Dixon: Sit down for this walk down memory lane
- Another prosecutor needed
- Lee County S.A.: Woman may not survive