Woman dies in crash with fleeing burglary suspects
ROCKFORD (AP) — A 58-year-old Rockford woman died after three alleged car burglars fleeing from a sheriff's deputy crashed their vehicle into her car.
Winnebago County Coroner Sue Fiduccia says Karen Shafer died about 40 minutes after the crash Sunday afternoon.
The Rockford Register Star reports (http://bit.ly/V0FEXd) police had received reports of people trying to break into cars in a church parking lot. A Winnebago County sheriff's deputy spotted the possible suspects who drove off in a vehicle that then crashed into Shafer's car at an intersection.
Shafer was an obstetrics nurse who worked at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center for 38 years.
Police continue to investigate.
More State News
- House approves guns plan opposed by governor
- Dems: Budget deal would keep school funding level
- Cullerton: Parts of House gun bill 'offensive'
- Quinn: Concealed carry bill puts public at risk
- Paralyzed man can ride motorcycle