34°FOvercastFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Smoldering light fixture closes Milledgeville library

Published: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 1:15 a.m. CST
(Philip Marruffo/pmarruffo@saukvalley.com)
Milledgeville, Coleta and Polo firefighters respond to an alarm at Wysox Township Library around 1 p.m. Thursday, where a smoldering light fixture sent smoke throughout the building. Had librarian Jan McKean not been there, the electrical problem could have sparked a fire, Milledgeville Fire Chief David Folk said.

MILLEDGEVILLE – Wysox Township Library needs cleaning and might not re-open Saturday after a smoldering light fixture Thursday sent smoke throughout the building and summoned several fire departments.

Milledgeville firefighters were called about 1 p.m. to the library at 18 W. Fifth St. Librarian Jan McKean, who had just arrived to open up, smelled smoke and heard the alarm, she said.

The light fixture sent smoke into the attic, so firefighters “pulled the ceiling” and requested a ladder truck from Shannon to get onto the roof, Fire Chief David Folk said.

The building sustained smoke damage, but not much water damage. The issue, apparently electrical, would have turned into a fire if there had been no alarm and if McKean had not been there, Folk said, adding that the state fire marshal will investigate.

The library is closed on Fridays and might not be cleaned in time to open Saturday, Board President Deb Bailey said. It is open Monday from 1 to 8 p.m.

One firefighter was treated by a CGH ambulance crew for an eye injury, Folk said.

Chadwick, Coleta and Polo firefighters also responded.

National video

Reader Poll

Rock Falls is considering a ban on leaf burning. Should the city finally take that step?
Yes. Sterling and Dixon have had bans for years. It’s time for Rock Falls to impose a ban.
No. It would be too great a burden for homeowners to dispose of fallen leaves in other ways.
Not sure
No opinion