Duchesses fall in season finale
The Dixon Duchesses were unable to surpass the Maple Leafs for third place in the Northern Illinois Big 12 West, falling 48-34 on Thursday in Geneseo.
Brooke Bailey led Dixon (10-17, 4-6) with 21 points. No other Duchess scored more than four points. Molly DeBrock led Geneseo (12-14, 5-5) with 14 points.
Newman 67, Morrison 38: A.J. Sharp hit seven 3-pointers and scored 25 points for the Comets, who blew by their Three Rivers rival in the second half in Morrison.
The Mustangs (4-24, 0-12) trailed just 29-24 at halftime, and were led by Hunter Hamstra’s nine points. Matt Wilkens added eight.
Newman (20-4, 11-1) seniors Kyle Moore and Nic Miller supported Sharp with 13 and 11 points, respectively. The Comets outscored the Mustangs 17-7 in the third period and 21-7 in the fourth.
Eastland 73, West Carroll 43: Dalton Shaner paced the Cougars with 26 points, helping them build a 41-17 halftime lead in an NUIC West game in Savanna.
Jordan Bacero led West Carroll (9-18, 3-7) with 12 points. Austin Hansen added 13 for Eastland (21-3, 11-0), which clinched at least a share of the conference title.
More Local News
- 1A Girls state track & field: Panthers finish runners-up in Class 1A
- Family ties Erie girls together
- Oregon’s Cullen, Long, BV’s Hoffert all place third in strong area showing
- Locals bring home two medals; Dobbs breaks record in 800
- Baseball: E-P's Cole makes single run work, two-hits Morrison for regional title
- Softball: Slugger's 3-run homer puts Clippers on way to title
- Baseball: Eastland bats wake up in time to club Amboy in title game
- Prep softball: Star pitcher leads Milledgeville to regional title
- Softball: Fillies fall to Alleman in 1A Bureau Valley title game
- Local roundup: Oregon walks off with regional title on home field