Kindergartener still held captive
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. (AP) – Speaking into a 4-inch-wide ventilation pipe, hostage negotiators tried Thursday to talk a man into releasing a kindergartener and ending a standoff in an underground bunker that stretched into its third day.
The man identified by multiple neighbors and witnesses as 65-year-old retired truck driver Jimmy Lee Dykes was accused of pulling the boy from a school bus on Tuesday and killing the driver. The pair was holed up in a small room on his property that authorities compared to tornado shelters common in the area.
More Nation & World News
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Majority of number combos picked for Powerball pot
- Will Boy Scouts accept gay youth? Vote is imminent
- Google's products dig deeper into people's lives
- Pa. coffee run leads to hatchet hitchhiker arrest