52°FFairFull Forecast
Pro Football Weekly Updated Draft Guide

Tax preparation available

Published: Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 1:15 a.m. CDT

The American Association of Retired Persons tax-aide volunteers will provide free income tax return preparation services to any age at a variety of of times and locations.

Whiteside County Senior Center, 1207 W. Ninth St., Sterling: Mondays through April 15 and two Saturdays, Feb. 16 and March 16. Call 815-611-9230 for an appointment.

Rock River Center, 810 S. 10th St., Oregon: Tuesdays through April 9 and Wednesdays through April 10. For an appointment, call 815-732-3252.

Senior Citizens Drop-in Center, 100 W. Second St., Dixon: Mondays, through April 15 and Thursdays through April 11. Appointments can be made by calling 815-288-2117.

Odell Public Library, 307 S. Madison St., Morrison: Wednesdays, through April 10. No appointment required, first come, first served. Information: 815-772-7323.

YWCA of the Sauk Valley, 412 First Ave., Sterling: Thursdays through April 11. Call 815-625-0333 for an appointment.

Polo Senior Center, 101 E. Mason St., Polo: March 1 and 8. For an appointment, call 815-946-3818.

To get ready for tax preparation, participants should:

■ Keep in mind the taxpayer is responsible for the accuracy of the return. The volunteers will not give advice on reducing tax responsibility.

■ There are some returns volunteers cannot help prepare. Posters at the tax sites state what areas are out of the volunteers’ scope. Volunteers will not make exceptions.

■ The client intake form must be filled out before the return can be started.

■ Taxpayers will be called for assistance in the order listed on the sign-in sheet or appointment list. Exceptions will be made if a specific volunteer’s skills are required for certain cases.

■ Both signatures must be received if filing a joint return.

■ Participants will be treated in a courteous and professional manner.

■ Comments, questions and concerns can be addressed by email Taxaide@aarp.org or calling 800-424-2277 before or after the tax season.

■ Energy and education credits will be delayed.

■ Taxable income over $3,050 may require state filing.

The following documents and information should be brought to the appointment: photo identification, Social Security cards or similar documentation for all parties, income related documents; expense related documents, brokerage statements, and a check with the filer’s name printed on it for direct deposit.

Also helpful are copies of last year’s tax return and the date a person’s pension or annuity from a former employer started.

Get breaking news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from Sauk Valley Media!

More News

National video

Reader Poll

Do you agree with President Trump ordering a missile attack against Syria in the aftermath of Syria’s apparent use of chemical weapons against its own people?
Not sure
No opinion