Ex-officer charged with corruption
CHICAGO (AP) — A former Chicago police officer is accused of attempting to extort a tow truck owner and selling firearms to the man, a convicted felon.
Ali Haleem is the 11th person charged as part of Operation Tow Scam, a federal probe of bribery and extortion involving Chicago police officers and towing truck operators that began in 2008.
No date has been set yet for his arraignment in U.S. District Court.
According to the charges, between March 13 and 20, 2008, Haleem attempted to extort a tow truck operator who was cooperating with law enforcement at the time.
It wasn’t immediately known if Haleem has an attorney.
Most Recent Comment
More State News
- Ill. Senate approves health-coverage exchange plan
- Senate OKs ban on cell phones while driving
- House guns bill passes committee
- Substitute teacher admits making threatening call
- Motorists urged to drive safely on holiday weekend