Partly Cloudy
16°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Creosote ignites chimney fire; home spared

ROCK FALLS – It took firefighters about 3 hours Thursday to douse a chimney fire caused when "an excessive buildup" of creosote ignited.

Firefighters were called to the home at 3609 Harbor Drive about 8 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing heavy smoke and flames, Fire Capt. Bill Milby said.

They disassembled the chimney to put out the fire; it did not spread to the rest of the house, Milby said.

The homeowners had a fire in the wood burner that ignited an "excessive creosote buildup" – wood particles and condensed flue gases that deposit inside the shaft.

It's a good idea to scrape out that buildup every 3 or 4 years, Milby said.

Comments

Comments

National video



Reader Poll

Rock Falls is considering a ban on leaf burning. Should the city finally take that step?
Yes. Sterling and Dixon have had bans for years. It’s time for Rock Falls to impose a ban.
No. It would be too great a burden for homeowners to dispose of fallen leaves in other ways.
Not sure
No opinion